Stephen and Jennifer are now on the Trent Mersey canal and will follow it for a couple of days … South to Rugeley.
Next stop Etruria ….strange name for a potteries suburb …. which was the fourth site for the famous Wedgwood pottery business. Josiah Wedgwood opened his new works in 1769. It was named after the Italian district of Etruria, home of the Etruscan people who were renowned for their artistic products. The site covered 350 acres (140 ha) and was next to the Trent and Mersey Canal. As well as Wedgwood’s home, Etruria Hall, it included the Etruria Works which remained in use by the Wedgwood enterprise until 1950.
The Etruria Museum hold a Narrow boat festival every June.
Etruria Hall was the site of the substantial invention of photography by Thomas Wedgwood in the 1790s.